Skip to main content

HOW KENYAN YOUTHS ARE TAKING CHARGE OF POLITICS IN SEARCH FOR SOUND GOVERNANCE

Ten years ago, I would sit cross-legged on the cold floor, just beside my father’s stool, as the clatter of aluminum plates and Sufuria died down in the kitchen. Evening had fallen, and that meant only one thing in our home , news time.

      Young Kenyans armed with a flag during a peaceful demonstration 

Right there on the wooden stool sat our most treasured possession , an old, dusty radio, the kind with a missing volume knob and antenna held in place with a bent spoon. It had long lost its back cover, so my father had wrapped it tightly with black polythene and sealed it with sisal rope. Despite its rough look, it was sacred. My father was the only one allowed to switch it on, and even adjust the volume.It was more than a radio, the only one in our entire extended family. Aunties from the far end of the village and uncles with dusty bicycles knew to stop by for the 7 o'clock bulletin.

Then, as if summoned by a spirit of routine, Mzee Mbakaya would appear  just as he had every evening for years. He was thin with his clothes sagging off his body, a faded ODM t-shirt barely visible under a fraying brown sweater. His trousers were patched at the knees, and his shubby grey hair grew in patches like neglected grass. On his feet were old akaala sandles with soles worn out from miles of hustling.

He was a cobbler by trade, a political analyst by passion. He'd squeeze onto the armrest of the Makaaanji seat, nod as the intro music played, and then quietly listen to the news, like a man in church.Once the bulletin ended, Mbakaya would spark off the debate. "Hii maneno ya Banana na Chungwa si mchezo Jack " he’d start, and my father would follow with something about UDF, URP or TNA. Terms like Agwambo, Thika Super Highway, Majimbo, Katiba Mpya flew around like crows fighting for leftovers.

I didn’t know what all that meant. I was just about twelve. But I loved the energy, the language and the noise, but still, I had no right to contribute. Each time I tried, my father would roar, "Watoto watoke penye wazee wanaongelea mambo ya watu wazima, Powel inje!"

So, I watched from the sidelines , why was mzee that hard on me , couldn't I even ask what UDF meant?

New Error in place.

Today, things are different.The same boy who was once chased away from a political talk is now part of a generation that is driving it , not in smoky living rooms, but in digital corridors. Not with patched trousers and old radios, but with smartphones, hashtags, WiFi and a passion for truth.
Young person in a political protest

Kenya's youth have stepped into the arena, from campus students in WiFi campus spots to village boys sharing  hotspots under mango trees in Shinyalu  to TikTok queens in studio-lit bedrooms somewhere in Kesses around Moi University or pahaps in the capital of Kenya. We’re not just watching the news anymore  we’re making it, remixing it, questioning it, and meme-ing it into national debates that are shaking the foundations of power.

   A cartoon image showing a political development.

TikTok as Parliament, Twitter as Protest Ground
Take a scroll through TikTok and you’ll meet dozens of young content creators mimicking government officials with uncanny accuracy. One moment they’re a senator dodging tough questions; the next, they’re impersonating CSs fumbling on a JKL interview where Veteran journalist Jeff Koinange roasts them with questions perceived to them as rhetorics.

Each skit carries a punch  exposing corruption, decoding bills, or just drawing public attention to bad leadership. With AI-generated voiceovers and meme edits, even complex governance issues are broken down into digestible, entertaining formats.

Twitter (or X) becomes a battlefield when injustice arises. A hashtag trends. A screenshot goes viral. Youth organize, rally, and educate , sometimes more effectively than mainstream media. Who ever imagined that this will be a reality?

An aI generated poster used in anti finance Bill protests.

Youth Without Votes, Shouting the Loudest
What’s remarkable is that many of these digital warriors don’t even have ID cards yet neither are they even registered voters. They’re below 18, too young to vote, yet shaping opinions, rallying resistance, and building civic awareness through reels and posts, they’re actually redefining what it means to be politically engaged.in other terms they are flipping the script elaborating that politics are no longer a sacred ground of “elders.” Today even infants can say a word about a prominent Minster.

Morally Decayed? Or Democratically Awakened?
I wonder how a section of society , often led by retrogressive leaders grumbles. They say, “This generation is morally decayed. Disrespectful. Lost.” But for me I think they are missing the point.
This generation is not lost. It's awake. It’s not clout-hungry. It doesn’t kneel before power; it questions it. And most importantly, it refuses to be silenced by outdated ideals embraced by the loyalists of tribal and political orientations.

A new leadership sprouts.
 Kenya is now witnessing the birth of a new kind of political participation one not based on age, tribe, or titles, but on voice, vision, and values.
So to those who say “leaders are God-chosen, questioning them is sin”, remember, God may choose them, but it’s we the people who must keep them in check or else we carry the blame of a poor economy, governance and development.

If that government check comes wrapped in humor, hashtags, and reels, so be it because this is our time.This is our space and this  WiFi, memes, voices and all  is our revolution.

What do you think? Are TikTok skits a legitimate form of political expression? Have Kenyan youth become the new watchdogs of democracy? Drop your thoughts in the comments below. Let’s talk.



Comments

  1. The authorities are scared of this revolution sir. Unfortunate to them is that they have nothing they can do about it but to accept and change .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. The change should begin with us as youths. And this is evident in Kenya. Through youths, rogue leaders will not be securing a place in leadership! Not even chief position!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, young people have the potential of steering change

      Delete
  3. Good piece 💯, it's true, the Kenyan youths #Gen Z we have become the new watchdogs of democracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, taking responsibility to shape our nation.

      Delete
  4. Kenyan youths are more of opinion shapers in the political arena than watchdogs.....the status quo of the next campaigns are based on who has the "interests of the youth at hand "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Trevor, this is the onset of agenda based politics.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading The Powel's Journal, This is the Insightful Hub. We appreciate your comments and feedback.

Karibu Tena

Popular posts from this blog

Raised Not to Cry: Mental Health and The Emotional Cost of Masculinity

    Growing up I rarely saw men cry, not my father, not my uncles and not even the boys I used to play Lifundo with. I even remember  vividly that bad afternoon back in kindergarten when my boys decided to show me what learning in a village public primary school looked like.  That particular afternoon just before being served porridge and singing “ … saasa ni sa siita Mwalimu kwaheeri…” something unusual happened, I must first admit that in my childhood I was different, the common smiles and wordiness I have today, just caught up with me in puberty the other day, so on that afternoon I got attacked, attacked with these village bullies that will without any reason throw down a stick and declare,  “...kama wewe ni mwanaume ruka unipige…” Meaning, “...if you are a man enough cross to this side and touch me..” crossing over the stick meant you just trespassed into someone's territory aiming to bring violence of which you either had  the energy to fight them ...

DOES YOUR MOTHER REALLY KNOW THAT YOU'RE MARRIED?

I know you'll say jealousy has taken a better part of me but let me ask you, does your mother really know that you’re married? Does she even know that you’ve been cohabiting in that campus bedsitter for the past four years, raising a love baby made of borrowed cooking oil, endless sleepovers, and whispers of “babe, uko na class leo?” Happy moments of campus dating  You see, campus dating has evolved. It’s no longer just about holding hands in the corridors or campus highways and probably hanging out during weekends. Initially Fridays were known for girls to change environment, I mean taking a charger and a sweater then leaving their cubes in hostels to somebody else's room for the weekend. Today, some of the comrades are running full-blown “marriages” in the name of companionship. And the funniest part? Both broke, jobless, and sharing a mattress that has seen better days but somehow convinced that love reigns. Anyway, how do you feel now that your parents a...

Why You Should Stop Buying and Start Growing Your Own Groceries

It is my habit that whenever I'm chopping tomatoes, I throw that last piece into my mouth. This Thursday was no different, but guess what… Something unusual happened. The moment I bit into it, the smell hit me so hard, I froze. I thought I had chewed a tomato soaked in paraffin. It was that strong. I froze because It felt like I had tasted a mix of chemicals that had no business being in food at all. Just before you imagine this was my first shock, it was not. Not long ago I bought six bananas from my mama mboga , yes, six! My obsession with this fruit sometimes makes me wonder whether I belong closer to the monkey family or the human one. So there I was, excited about this perfectly yellow banana but inside, instead of the soft sweet flesh, I found something hard and dry like a maize cob . Later I learned the science behind it. Farmers sometimes use ripening chemicals to force bananas to yellow overnight instead of allowing the natural three to four days that involves storing the...