In the 1980s, 90s and early 2000s, growing up in families of 10, 13, or even close to 20 siblings was nothing unusual. It was normal. Almost every household had at least five children, and life still felt manageable. Food was affordable, the cost of living was lower and children enjoyed free Nyayo milk in schools before President Mwai Kibaki rolled out free primary education. Raising many children seemed easy and few parents considered family planning necessary.
A happy young family .In fact, many strongly opposed it. Some saw it as a ploy by the West to reduce Africa’s population for easier control. Others argued it was against the Bible’s command to “go forth and fill the earth.” From pulpits, priests passionately urged congregants to reject family planning and embrace God’s call to multiply.
Fast forward to today, and the story has changed. Modern families are rewriting the script. Young parents are embracing new systems far removed from traditional beliefs and cultural practices. The big question is, why? Is it the harsh economy, a cultural shift, or simply a reflection of modern times?
For many, the answer is clear.
“I’m 24 years old, a mother of two cute boys and they’re enough,” says Faith Kiprop, a young mother from Kesses, Uasin Gishu County.
“Times are hard. My boys depend solely on me, and I must give them a good life,” adds her husband, Daniel Kiprop.
Like the Kiprops, countless Kenyan parents now prefer smaller families, citing the high cost of raising children. Good healthcare, decent shelter, balanced meals, and quality education, all essential needs that are expensive and hard-earned in today’s society.
For some, the decision is shaped by even tougher realities.
“I’m a single mom. I had my daughter in 2021 while still on campus. It’s hectic, I spend about KSh 450 daily on diapers and her meals alone,” recounts Mourine Nasimiyu from Mumias town.
“I don’t think I’ll ever marry again. She’s my everything. We’ll build a meaningful life together.”
Nasimiyu openly admits she always wanted to be a single mother of one and now she’s living that dream despite the struggle. Her story reflects a growing trend where single parenting is not just a circumstance but, increasingly a deliberate choice.
Men leading from the front in family Planning
Interestingly, family planning is no longer viewed as women’s responsibility alone. More men are stepping up.
“In my early college years, I sired two kids, a boy and later a girl,” says Andrew Otieno.
“I chose a vasectomy in 2022 after graduating. Being a father of two is no joke, but I can manage schooling them.”
Otieno, like many young fathers, links his decision to a desire for responsible parenting - choosing provision and contentment over expansion.
Yet, not all modern families follow the same script. A number of young parents, particularly men, are embracing single fatherhood.
“My children are from different mothers,” Otieno admits.
“But I agreed with both women that once the kids reach the right age, I’ll take full responsibility as a single dad. I already support them with monthly upkeep, and I believe I’ll be happy raising them.”
A father daughter moment .These shifting family patterns; smaller households, rising single parenthood, and shared responsibility in family planning signal the making of a modern Kenyan society.
With time, experts suggest, this transformation could bear fruit: fewer street families, reduced child labour, lower illiteracy levels, improved child survival, and more responsible parenting.
What’s clear is that Kenyan families are no longer bound to the past. From cultural norms to economic realities, the dynamics of parenting have changed. The new story is not about how many children one has, but how well they are raised.
Rais alisema juzi , ukiwa 25years plus enda olewa , guys let's get married 😂
ReplyDelete😂😂 itabidi
ReplyDelete