Skip to main content

A Sunday at the Kenya National Archives

“Ukifika Archives, ningojee hapo…” If you have lived in Nairobi long enough, you have probably heard those words: When you get to Archives, wait for me there. 

                The Kenya National Archives 
For years, the Kenya National Archives has been that place for me too—a familiar landmark in the heart of Nairobi, a reference point when giving directions, a place you pass without necessarily wondering what lies behind its walls.

For me, this Sunday was different. My love for history took me through those doors and suddenly, Archives was no longer just a place where people wait for someone. It became a place where Kenya waits for you to discover her story

Aerial view of the interior of the National Archives. |Photo Credits: John Ayodi

 The building itself has a story. The present structure was built in 1931 and originally served as the headquarters of the National Bank of India. The bank had started operating in Kenya in 1904, first establishing an office in Mombasa. Its Nairobi branch opened in 1906 in a small tin structure along Government Road, today's Moi Avenue. A permanent stone office followed in 1909.

Years later, after the National Bank of India merged with Grindlays Bank, National and Grindlays Bank emerged and built the building that still stands today. Kenya Commercial Bank later occupied it before the government acquired the building between 1970 and 1978 to house the Kenya National Archives.

That is where the story gets even more interesting, because inside this building is another Kenya—a Kenya captured in photographs, documents, portraits and artifacts.
A moment of encounter| Photo Credits: John Ayodi

I walked slowly, reading and studying faces I had previously encountered only in history books. Then I stopped. There, before me, was a photograph of four men—Njoroge Mungai, Jomo Kenyatta, Muiga Chokwe and Tom Mboya—enjoying themselves at the Coast, dressed in what I will politely call swimming costumes. 

For a moment, history felt strangely human. These were not just names from textbooks. They were men in their swimming gear, bare-chested, laughing and enjoying an ordinary day at the Coast. Seeing them that way, outside the formal portraits and serious accounts of history, was a gentle reminder that even the people who made history once had ordinary moments too.

From left, Njoroge Mungai, Jomo Kenyatta, Muiga Chokwe and Tom Mboya at the coast 

I looked at Tom Mboya. I found myself asking a question history can never answer: What if Tom Mboya had lived?

He was only 39 when he was assassinated on July 5, 1969, while serving as Kenya's Minister for Economic Planning and Development. Thirty-nine. That number stayed with me. At 39, he had already risen to the centre of Kenya's political and economic life. He had been a trade unionist, a legislator, a minister and one of the country's most influential young statesmen.

What would another 20 or 30 years have looked like? What ideas would he have pursued? What kind of institutions would he have built? Could he have helped take Kenya somewhere different? History gives us no answer. It only leaves us wondering about the Kenya that might have been.

I walked on, and then I encountered another giant of our history—Prof. Wangari Maathai. Among the materials was her 2003 statement, “Fears that Threaten Our Unity.” One line caught my attention: “As long as there is no trust and confidence that there will be justice and fairness in resource distribution, political positioning remain more important than service.”
Interacting with Prof Wangari Maathai's quotes | Photo Credits: John Ayodi

I read it once. Then again. It was written more than two decades ago, yet it did not feel distant. That is the strange power of history. Sometimes, you read something written years ago and realize that the conversation is not over.

Maybe that is what an archive really is. Not a room full of old papers. Not simply portraits of people who came before us. It is a conversation between generations. The people whose photographs I saw had their moment. They made decisions. They built institutions. They made mistakes. They imagined a countrynd now, the responsibility of imagining what Kenya becomes next belongs to us.

When I finally stepped outside, Nairobi was still moving. Cars were passing. People were rushing. Someone was probably telling a friend, “Ukifika Archives, ningojee hapo.”
I smiled,  I now know that Archives is much more than a place to wait. It is a place to remember, a place to question, and a place to wonder about the Kenya we inherited—and the Kenya we are leaving behind.

It was a beautiful Sunday for me and perhaps the next time you pass Archives, don't just use it as a landmark.
Take a step inside.
You might discover that one of Nairobi's most familiar buildings is carrying some of Kenya's most unforgettable stories.




Comments

  1. It was a wonderful experience Derc , a very rich place in history, I could see it , your eyes got teary when we reached Tom Mboya"s portrait , you loved his ideologies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading The Powel's Journal, This is the Insightful Hub. We appreciate your comments and feedback.

Karibu Tena

Popular posts from this blog

Raised Not to Cry: Mental Health and The Emotional Cost of Masculinity

    Growing up I rarely saw men cry, not my father, not my uncles and not even the boys I used to play Lifundo with. I even remember  vividly that bad afternoon back in kindergarten when my boys decided to show me what learning in a village public primary school looked like.  That particular afternoon just before being served porridge and singing “ … saasa ni sa siita Mwalimu kwaheeri…” something unusual happened, I must first admit that in my childhood I was different, the common smiles and wordiness I have today, just caught up with me in puberty the other day, so on that afternoon I got attacked, attacked with these village bullies that will without any reason throw down a stick and declare,  “...kama wewe ni mwanaume ruka unipige…” Meaning, “...if you are a man enough cross to this side and touch me..” crossing over the stick meant you just trespassed into someone's territory aiming to bring violence of which you either had  the energy to fight them ...

DOES YOUR MOTHER REALLY KNOW THAT YOU'RE MARRIED?

I know you'll say jealousy has taken a better part of me but let me ask you, does your mother really know that you’re married? Does she even know that you’ve been cohabiting in that campus bedsitter for the past four years, raising a love baby made of borrowed cooking oil, endless sleepovers, and whispers of “babe, uko na class leo?” Happy moments of campus dating  You see, campus dating has evolved. It’s no longer just about holding hands in the corridors or campus highways and probably hanging out during weekends. Initially Fridays were known for girls to change environment, I mean taking a charger and a sweater then leaving their cubes in hostels to somebody else's room for the weekend. Today, some of the comrades are running full-blown “marriages” in the name of companionship. And the funniest part? Both broke, jobless, and sharing a mattress that has seen better days but somehow convinced that love reigns. Anyway, how do you feel now that your parents a...

Why You Should Stop Buying and Start Growing Your Own Groceries

It is my habit that whenever I'm chopping tomatoes, I throw that last piece into my mouth. This Thursday was no different, but guess what… Something unusual happened. The moment I bit into it, the smell hit me so hard, I froze. I thought I had chewed a tomato soaked in paraffin. It was that strong. I froze because It felt like I had tasted a mix of chemicals that had no business being in food at all. Just before you imagine this was my first shock, it was not. Not long ago I bought six bananas from my mama mboga , yes, six! My obsession with this fruit sometimes makes me wonder whether I belong closer to the monkey family or the human one. So there I was, excited about this perfectly yellow banana but inside, instead of the soft sweet flesh, I found something hard and dry like a maize cob . Later I learned the science behind it. Farmers sometimes use ripening chemicals to force bananas to yellow overnight instead of allowing the natural three to four days that involves storing the...