Skip to main content

THE SUNDAY SOUL .There are things in this life that no one can handle for you... Part 1 -The Mind

There is something about emotional quotes and reels. You watch one casually while scrolling, and suddenly a few words seem to know exactly where to touch. You pause, replay it, and for a moment, you find yourself thinking about your own life.

It made me think about the mind.

That strange, beautiful place within us that is constantly talking, remembering, imagining, questioning and hoping. There is a conversation happening inside every person, every day, yet nobody else can completely hear it.

Sometimes your mind reminds you, look how far you have come. It tells you to keep going, that things can change, that there is still something ahead of you.

But sometimes it asks difficult questions: What if I am not good enough? What if I fail? What if things never change?

The danger is that repeated thoughts can begin to sound like facts. But a thought is not always the truth. Sometimes the mind speaks from fear, exhaustion, disappointment or an old wound.

One failure is not your identity. One rejection is not your worth. One difficult season is not your entire life.

So perhaps we should question our thoughts sometimes. Is this actually true? Am I seeing the whole picture? Would I speak to someone I love the way I am speaking to myself?

The mind also remembers. It carries words, experiences, disappointments and beautiful moments from years ago. But not everything your mind remembers deserves to control your present. Let the past teach you without allowing it to imprison you.

And be careful what you feed your mind. Every conversation, video, opinion, environment and person leaves something behind. Some things expand you; others simply fill you with noise.

Your attention is precious. Protect it.

Give your mind knowledge. Give it meaningful conversations. Give it silence. Give it hope. And sometimes, simply tell yourself: slow down. You don't have to figure everything out today.

A peaceful mind is not one that never has difficult thoughts. It is one that learns which thoughts to hold, which to question and which to let pass.

So take good care of your mind.

Because long before the world sees the person you become, your mind is already shaping that person.

What did your mind tell you recently that you found interesting?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raised Not to Cry: Mental Health and The Emotional Cost of Masculinity

    Growing up I rarely saw men cry, not my father, not my uncles and not even the boys I used to play Lifundo with. I even remember  vividly that bad afternoon back in kindergarten when my boys decided to show me what learning in a village public primary school looked like.  That particular afternoon just before being served porridge and singing “ … saasa ni sa siita Mwalimu kwaheeri…” something unusual happened, I must first admit that in my childhood I was different, the common smiles and wordiness I have today, just caught up with me in puberty the other day, so on that afternoon I got attacked, attacked with these village bullies that will without any reason throw down a stick and declare,  “...kama wewe ni mwanaume ruka unipige…” Meaning, “...if you are a man enough cross to this side and touch me..” crossing over the stick meant you just trespassed into someone's territory aiming to bring violence of which you either had  the energy to fight them ...

DOES YOUR MOTHER REALLY KNOW THAT YOU'RE MARRIED?

I know you'll say jealousy has taken a better part of me but let me ask you, does your mother really know that you’re married? Does she even know that you’ve been cohabiting in that campus bedsitter for the past four years, raising a love baby made of borrowed cooking oil, endless sleepovers, and whispers of “babe, uko na class leo?” Happy moments of campus dating  You see, campus dating has evolved. It’s no longer just about holding hands in the corridors or campus highways and probably hanging out during weekends. Initially Fridays were known for girls to change environment, I mean taking a charger and a sweater then leaving their cubes in hostels to somebody else's room for the weekend. Today, some of the comrades are running full-blown “marriages” in the name of companionship. And the funniest part? Both broke, jobless, and sharing a mattress that has seen better days but somehow convinced that love reigns. Anyway, how do you feel now that your parents a...

Why You Should Stop Buying and Start Growing Your Own Groceries

It is my habit that whenever I'm chopping tomatoes, I throw that last piece into my mouth. This Thursday was no different, but guess what… Something unusual happened. The moment I bit into it, the smell hit me so hard, I froze. I thought I had chewed a tomato soaked in paraffin. It was that strong. I froze because It felt like I had tasted a mix of chemicals that had no business being in food at all. Just before you imagine this was my first shock, it was not. Not long ago I bought six bananas from my mama mboga , yes, six! My obsession with this fruit sometimes makes me wonder whether I belong closer to the monkey family or the human one. So there I was, excited about this perfectly yellow banana but inside, instead of the soft sweet flesh, I found something hard and dry like a maize cob . Later I learned the science behind it. Farmers sometimes use ripening chemicals to force bananas to yellow overnight instead of allowing the natural three to four days that involves storing the...